3D OBJECT MODELING & PRINTING CAMP
DETAILS AT A GLANCE
- Where: Gettysburg College Campus
- When: Camp 1 is June 16-June 21, 2019 and Camp 2 is June 23-June 28, 2019
- How Much: $1,395 for lodging, meals, activities, printer and supplies
- Who: Rising high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until May 1, 2019 and will be considered on a rolling basis. We have limited space so we recommend that you submit an application as soon as possible. We receive applications from many more qualified applicants than we can admit. Once admitted, campers will receive instructions for completing online registration. When the camp is full, registration will close.
Students will study 3D object modeling and printing starting with the basics of a 3D printer. A study of the software needed to communicate between the 3D printer and computer will follow next. After students learn the fundamentals of printing pre-designed 3D objects, they will practice designing objects using basic geometric shapes and other software tools.
Students will work directly with a 3D printer connected to a personally owned computer or to a computer provided by the College. At the end of the camp, students will take their 3D printer home with them along with any software loaded onto their personally owned computer. Each student will also go home with a memory stick containing the software used at the camp. Students will be provided with a printing material called PLA for printing 3D objects which is biodegradable and an environmentally friendly plastic.
- Setup and configuration of 3D printers
- Printing parameters and configuration options
- Scaling, rotating, and positioning 3D models using printing software Repetier-Host
- Slicing 3D objects and comparing different slicing programs
- Designing and modeling 3D objects with various open source 3D modeling programs
Still Have Questions?